Friday, September 9, 2016

Making Progress

As a super optimist I am hoping that the federal government, opposition and cross benches will act together to expedite progress for the indigenous peoples of Australia.  I note already that Tony Abbott and John Howard are arguing against a treaty.  I hope John Howard's influence on politicians is waning but I acknowledge his right to a private opinion.

I also hope that the Australian people when they are offered a referendum vote to recognise the first Australians in the constitution will vote yes.  I was in the past very confident of a yes vote but now am worried by the weighty views that it won't be a done thing, inclusive of concerns from the indigenous communities.

All this in a context of continuing high rates amongst indigenous youth of incarceration and suicide.

All this in a context of rumblings that government support for the continuation of many remote communities will be withdrawn.  If this occurs and these communities cease to exist it will be another blow for the elders who have put up with the shattering of their cultures since 1778.

Enough already!


GD

No comments:

Post a Comment