Sunday, May 14, 2017

Anticipation

In Australia we are on the brink of a referendum to recognise indigenous Australians, our First People, in the federal constitution.  There is even talk of a Treaty.  Wise people are in committee setting up this much anticipated occasion.

We want it to be a resounding 'yes' vote for constitutional recognition and I have always been sure it would be.  A Treaty is a deeper matter and the ramifications of this are yet to be revealed to we the great unwashed.  I don't fear it.  I would welcome it.

What I fear most is that nothing may change in practical terms for those indigenous persons who still have a lesser life expectancy, suffer kidney and diabetic illness, live in poverty, live in remote communities whose very existence is threatened and who suffer ridiculously high rates of incarceration. The elders who can remember vividly the details of the destruction of their culture(s) deserve to be placed in a situation whereby they can live out their lives with some pride in who and what they are.  The young adults and children deserve every opportunity to be what they want to be and to take advantage of those parts of 21st century living that they aspire to.

We are one people and the non indigenous must, yes I say must, learn to respect their indigenous brothers and sisters.  I have seen some behaviour from indigenous persons in metropolitan Perth that is a major concern but the same applies to many non indigenous persons.  This errant behaviour from a few is no reason to disrespect a wider population trying to do the right thing.

Are we on the brink of a breakthrough for indigenous Australians all?  I have faith and hope that this is the case.  I've tried my hardest as an educator to help, but being non indigenous such help is not always welcomed and understandably can be viewed as interference in the self determination that is undoubtedly the way forward for indigenous Australians. I guess it is me thinking have I done enough in my career that is now over.  I'm not wimping or moaning I am just concerned to see it all go well before I leave this mortal coil.


May the Force be with us all!


GD

No comments:

Post a Comment